Thursday, October 1, 2009

October Begins...

I love October. It is my very favorite month of the whole year and it seems to go by too quickly.
I love October for various reasons: That it is officially fall, temperatures cool and yet the frogs still sing (at least at the beginning). The light has changed and everything is painted with a gold shimmer. The air smells different, like mowed hay wet leaves, and frost, even snow if it's one of those years (I love the smell of snow). Harvests begin and end in a short time, and you can see things change from bright greens and blues, to deep reds and golden orange, and how brief this is before the grey of the Midwest winter removes all color is a crime. It seems like here in the Midwest fall is October- from beginning to end of leaves turning and falling, and the other various changes, and when November arrives, it's finished. 31 short days of amazing transformation and color before everything goes to bed to start anew. It's magic.

And that magic seems to come in the air, it's the end and the beginning of things. I choose to mark my years in October- the 31st being the last of the old, and November 1st the beginning. So it all ends with Halloween, my favorite of favorite holidays.

Halloween has always been special for me, I loved it as a child; to dress up as someone else, and to be out in the night with all the ghosties and ghoulies and other unseen. Watching "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and eating popcorn before going out in the neighborhood with my sister and one of my parents (or during special years my grandparents). I just loved the excitement of it. I never out grew the excitement either. I still like to dress up- and I still have to watch Charlie Brown.

But also, now as an adult Halloween is MORE special because it's my wedding anniversary. - And I will talk more about the why's and what-fors on that topic in other posts. But I just love to make decorations, set out my LeMax Spooky Town collection, once in a while throw a big party complete with a haunted fun run through our fields, and just make it one wonderful end of my year.

So to make the short story long- I like October, and I've decided that since I've been a terrible blogger I am going to do more in October. I can't promise an everyday entry, but I will do a lot better than what I have been. I have a lot to share and talk about on lots of different topics- I just have put too much pressure on myself to the "right" kind of entry- and not the "I want to blog about THIS today" entry. It's time to be myself (which is what I have really been doing every October when I dress up) and post about ME- not what I think you want me to provide, just me and what I'm in the middle of. Which as usual, is a lot! (Autocross season coming to a close, a new car in my future, I finished a doll, I plan to begin a weaving, and socks for my sisters!)

So here's to October! 31 days of ending the year by celebrating the potential of new beginnings. I feel change coming in the autumn air, floating like a red oak leaf in a soft wind. Hopefully I can catch that leaf and become confident in blogging and continue to create the perfect me everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment